9/19/2010

Class of 2010 2 - Writing parts 1 and 2 - Indirect questions

In part 1 you may have to write a letter or an e-mail requesting information or services; this type of letter is called a letter of inquiry. You may have to ask a friend to put you up at his house during your visit to his hometown. You can use indirect questions as you don't want to impose.

Example: Can I stay at your house for the weekend?
Indirect question: Do you think I can stay at your house for the weekend?
Would you mind if I stayed at your house for the weekend?

Practice:
Transform the following direct questions into indirect questions by adding the following expressions:

Do you know if...?
Could you tell me...?
Can you tell me...?
Do you think you could ...?
Do you think you can...?
Would you mind ...ing...?
I was wondering if you could...
I wonder if you can/it is possible to ...
Do you know where/when/if...?

Notice word order changes and auxiliary verbs in direct vs. indirect questions:

Where is the nearest bus station?

Could you tell me where the nearest bus station is?

Do you have free time on the weekends?

Do you think you have free time on the weekends?

Can you book the hotel room for me?
Is there a bus stop near your house?
Can I come and stay with you next weekend?
Can I use your car?
How is the weather at this time of year?
Could you help me with my exams?
Can you pick me up at the airport?
What's the name of the village where your father was born?
Can you give me a ride to the airport?
When are you free on Tuesday?
Do you know how to operate this photocopier?
Are you free next week?
Does your brother like surprise birthday parties?
Are students allowed in the teachers' lounge?

You can hand in your sentences any time!

See you ,
Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment